Mass Haul Analysis
Mass haul analysis is used in construction and civil engineering projects to determine the most effective ways to move materials like earth during excavation and grading tasks. Planners and engineers use the results from the analysis to manage on- and off-site material transportation.
The analysis process involves figuring out how much dirt to move, where to take it from and where to dump it. Those who perform the analysis must consider factors like the material volume, weight and transportation restraints.
Using this data, they determine the most economical and practical haul methods. The result is a process that reduces costs and saves time. Our in-house Take-off Professionals (TOPS) team performs mass haul analysis to optimize your material moving processes.
About Our Mass Haul Analysis Services
TOPS mass haul analysis services utilize project information to optimize your earthmoving procedures. Our analysis involves creating models to show cut and fill volumes, material types and hauling distances. These models allow for planning haul routes, calculating the volume of earth moved and developing optimization strategies. We share this information through detailed reporting to give you the knowledge required to guide your processes.
Mass haul analysis has significance in how you utilize resources throughout a project. The data gives you insights that allow you to choose the best heavy machinery for the job and use it most effectively. The analysis can also minimize fuel consumption and prevent congestion on construction sites to keep projects running smoothly.
Many sectors utilize our mass haul analysis services to enhance their work. A few of the most common applications include:
- Road construction: Mass haul analysis helps designers discover the earthworks needed. The goal is to get equal excavation and embankment volumes.
- Land development: When preparing a plot of land for building, mass haul analysis can determine the most effective ways to move dirt.
- Mining operations: Mass haul analysis allows for the most efficient and effective removal of materials while decreasing transportation costs.
- Pipelines and utilities: When installing pipelines, mass haul analysis allows for better planning of excavation and backfilling while reducing hazards and disruptions to the existing architecture.
Request A Free Quote
Understanding Mass Haul Data
To perform a mass haul analysis and get valuable results, you need an understanding of the fundamental data points. The primary analysis tool this procedure uses is a mass haul diagram, which is a graph showing the materials moved. Reading this diagram involves understanding these terms:
- Haul: The transportation of your project’s excavated materials
- Overhaul: Transportation of haul material farther than the original free-haul distance
- Free haul: The project’s average haul
- Average haul: The distance of the haul between different points on a construction site, calculated from the length of the haul divided by the height of the mass diagram
Mass haul analysis also involves understanding grade points and balance points. Grade points show when a project design shifts from cut to fill, while balance points display areas where the fill volumes and net cut are equal.
Our team at TOPS creates and examines mass haul data. The process begins with gathering a list of materials — then, graphing starts. Sample lines go along the x-axis, while cumulative material volume is on the y-axis. The balance line is the middle axis line, showing areas with zero cumulative volume. Engineers create such diagrams using computer programs like Autodesk Civil 3D.
After creating a diagram, TOPS can use the data for accurate, comprehensive analyses. This data enables planners to determine the necessary equipment and rate of haul to cover costs and make a profit during earthmoving tasks.
The Process of Mass Haul Analysis
Our team uses this procedure to complete mass haul analysis:
- Preliminary evaluation: We assess project requirements and make decisions using factors like location, topography and material specifications.
- Data collection: During mass haul data collection, our teams gather topographic data like elevation, slope and existing site features. We also determine material properties like density and cohesion.
- Data interpretation: This step involves creating a digital model of the project site by using data collected from the previous stage. We can perform volume calculations to determine cut and fill amounts with this digital model.
- Mass haul analysis: Using the data interpretation lets us construct detailed findings and recommendations you can incorporate into scheduling and planning for enhanced efficiency and reduced costs.
Benefits of Mass Haul Analysis
Planners and engineers across various industries — from road building to mining — use mass haul data interpretation to improve their processes and reduce costs and timelines. Some significant benefits of using this process in your planning stages include:
- Precision: This analysis improves data representation, giving you a better idea of a project’s earthmoving requirements. The process allows you to examine the job in more detail and get useful insights.
- Management: You’ll have the information to manage assets and time more effectively on the job site with a detailed analysis. Better management means fewer wasted resources.
- Applications: Mass haul analysis provides valuable insights that professionals across various industries can use to improve their processes, whether preparing a roadway, a construction site or a pipe installation.
- Decision-making: Increase your confidence when deciding details like the transportation distance for materials and the ideal equipment to use.
Why Choose Our Services?
TOPS has a full-time team of employees rather than subcontractors. Our data modeling experts focus entirely on data, meaning we provide a high-level service for those seeking mass haul analysis. We take your data to the next level to ensure you use your resources most effectively in takeoffs. We have over 30 years of experience in data modeling and have provided professional mass haul analysis to numerous clients with successful results.
Our experts utilize advanced technology and software to improve the analysis process, including platforms like Autodesk Civil 3D. We have also created a platform for clients with a comprehensive work order system where you can add files, notes and other critical project information in one convenient place.
Start a Conversation
Mass haul analysis enables better project planning, allowing you to use your resources to their fullest potential. TOPS has a team of dedicated data modeling professionals who perform expert mass haul planning and analysis services ready to assist you. Reach out to our team online to start a conversation about your project.
Want to learn more about our capabilities?