DATA PREP SERVICES
Take-off Professionals has been in the business of preparing data and 3D models for our clients since 3D machine control technology began. We have no association with any manufacturer or system type but provide 3D models for all manufactures: Topcon, Trimble, Accugrade, Carlson, and Leica. We don’t really care what you own; we know what it takes to provide the 3D model for your specific system.
We prepare 3D models and perform related services. No matter what software the engineers used to create the design: Terramodel, MicroStation, Civil 3D, Bentley, or any other design software, we will provide you with the final 3D model, in the proper format required for your equipment.
Our focus is laser sharp. We are not in the business of selling hardware. We sell a professional and experienced service, that is all.
COMMERCIAL AND SCHOOL SITES
- Parking lot surface to finish
- Larger islands and building area curbs built. Small island curbs are graded through in the model just as you do them in the field.
- Building pads and blow ups if requested
- Retention and sheet grading areas
- 2D line work of utilities
- Existing conditions
- Points for layout of items built for the surface including buildings, curbs and tops and toes of retention’s. These are just examples, ask us and we will do it for you.
- Full 3D utility layout for storm and sanitary. Includes points and offsets for flow-line of pipe, structure corners and rims. This is comprehensive survey layout information for utility placement.
- 3D Utility trench networks for machine control excavators.
- Roads built by hand using plan and profile. We manually enter vertical and horizontal alignment information, build templates and process the road so it can be used for grading, paving, string-less curb and paving.
- Intersections are warped in by hand to insure proper drainage and a smooth transition.
- Cul-de-sac’s are done with the same attention to detail.
- Look out and walk out basement step pads can be incorporated into your model.
- We can build a sub-grade road model to extend behind the back of curb to get the curb machine in.
Road work has two distinct processes; New construction and rehabilitation.
- All road work is done by hand. We enter alignments, build templates and make a road conforming to the engineering. Nothing is left to chance, better data means no rework.
- All our work can be used with precision GPS and robotic systems. Accuracy to 3 digits for imperial units and 4 digits for metric work.
- We can build daylight to daylight or driving lanes only per your request.
- Mill and replace needs special attention. We are experienced with creating milling models as well as un-compacted surface files in order to minimize material and increase profits.
- Lane additions require detailed existing condition information so the new lanes do not need grinding and proper pavement depths are maintained.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
Sure we build data, we put the smoke in the machine that drives GPS layout and machine control. At one point, a customer asked; “What do I pay TOPS for?” My answer was spontaneous and has since become something of a slogan for us. “You pay us to be nervous”.
We get a set of plans in the office and approach it like there are trap doors everywhere. We are paid to build the 3D model like it appears on the paper, and then look for problems and work to make the job right.
Here is how a typical job goes:
- The contractor calls us and lets us know they have a job coming out to us. If they have not been in contact with the engineer, we will call on their behalf and acquire the electronic files. The paper is shipped to us and we start work.
- A work order is filled out with the scope of work our customer is responsible for, as well as any special requirements needed on the job. With newer customers, we usually ask a few questions and make sure the contractor gets everything they may need; you may not know what you need from us in the beginning.
- The project is managed by one of our staff engineers, and the data process begins; making notes and adjusting the obvious errors that got missed in plan review, such as 46 feet being typed as 64 feet.
- With the 3D model done to plan, we note areas of concern and report them to the engineer with proposed fixes. Never ask a question unless you know the answer. A open question to our customers; do you seem to be getting a new revised set of plans before the job even starts? What happened was that we found some things that needed attention, proposed fixes to the engineer, even sending them new points files! The changes are incorporated and you get new paper that magically matches the 3D model built by TOPS, just one of the things we get paid for.
- If we are doing wet utilities, we go through the same process of checking and proposing fixes, just like we do for sites. As far as we know water rolls downhill all over the world, if the plans don’t reflect that, we work with the engineers and get it right.
- At this point we have built, reviewed, and edited your jobsite an average of FOUR times! What does that mean to our customer? We moved the dirt 4 times on the screen, and did not waste your money on equipment, fuel, labor and overhead. With this quality of data in your hands, confidence levels go up, and productivity increases.
- In regard to changes. It is important to remember that the changes to a job that seem to occur every day, have for the most part been taken care of by careful data preparation in the first place. When the initial bugs are fixed, plan changes are usually true adjustments to the final look of the site, not the repair of overlooked design issues.
This is an overview of the process requires to successfully prepare a 3D model for a site. We are happy to report that the design community is warming to the idea of having TOPS in the loop as it pertains to doing a project right the first time. More and more firms around the world are doing their work as usual, and keeping open communication with us as we prepare the models, making the process quick, and very efficient.
We support the work done by the design engineers, and want the project to go along without a hitch. The more we work with small and large firms, they don’t see our work as problem finding and finger pointing, but an important part of the design process that helps to mesh design and construction into a cooperative dynamic effort.
3 EASY PIECES
People will often inquire what we need in order to get started doing data for a job. We have simplified the process to three steps. CAD, Paper, and Work Order.
We need to get the CAD files for the project. If the contractor has received them, they can be shipped with the paper, or uploaded to us on our ftp site. We can use multiple file formats including industry standard AutoCAD .DXF and .DWG, as well as numerous proprietary formats like: PRO, TTM, TIN, DGN, GC3, TP3, TN3, LN3, CMD. Just call or email us for upload instructions. We can process any type of CAD package from AutoCAD, Micro Station, Carlson Construction, Carlson Civil, and others
When we receive a set of paper plans, the first thing we do is have them scanned, so we can put them on our server. No matter what engineer works on your job, we all have access to your paper, electronically. You can transmit the scans of the paper to us if you wish. It is usually cheaper to ship the paper than to have it scanned, if the engineer can give you scans of the paper, just upload it or send us a CD.
On our websote, at the top, there is a link to fill out a data prep work order. Just click on the link and fill out the details for your scope of work. No matter what you want or need, we can provide it, just tell us how you need the job to look, and we will get right on it.
10 REASONS WHY YOU WANT TOPS TO DO THE DATA
- Details: No need to sweat the details. We comb through the plans, finding and fixing problems electronically before they become dirt mistakes. From school sites to the runway expansion at Los Angeles International Airport, we know the details of data.
- Consistency: Do you like red property lines instead of blue? How about overbuilds on pads, streets to subgrade, and 15 foot storm offsets, we build your data the way you like it… every time.
- Focus: We don’t sell equipment, software, or supplies. All we do is perform the best takeoffs, and build the best data in the business. We may be one trick ponies, but it’s a great trick.
- Versatility: Need a rough grade file to start while plans are being finished? Want to combine the offsites with the current job? How about curb offset points for layout? We have the experience and ability to make all your jobs more profitable and more efficient.
- Technologically Advanced: We use up to four different types of software in the preparation of every job. Our experience with all types of available software allows us to use the best package for different parts of a project.
- Staff: Engineers, surveyors, grade setters, operators, we have people building your job that have actual experience in the industry.
- No Hassles: Send us a copy of the paper plans, fill out a data prep work order, email the CAD files, or upload them to our website. We will get started immediately and email the completed job files, exactly the way you want them.
- Experience: Nobody has more experience than we do. We complete over 450 jobs per year ranging from parking lots to super highways. We prepare more data in a week than the largest contractors build in a year.
- Value: The advantage of TOPS accuracy, turnaround time, and consistency make us your best choice. The reason to use GPS is to move dirt one time, great data insures this.
- Fast: Need a 48 hour turnaround for data on a rush job? Full time engineers, surveyors, and field tested experts will combine talents to keep you working. We know how frustrating and expensive idle iron is. You have better things to do; let us build your data, and perform your takeoffs, so you can run your business.
Still not sure? We will prepare a portion of your site at NO Cost to you! Experience the difference in your production with data prepared by the nation’s leader in data preparation, TOPS.
Thank you for visiting our site, if you have any questions, you can call me personally, or submit an email request.
Your staff caught things the engineer missed. You have saved us thousands.
You guys are the “Easy Button” for all things Data!